There is a very helpful webpage made by the Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications that provides information in Japanese, English, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean: http://kokusei2015.stat.go.jp
I recommend looking through the website on your own, but here are some quick, basic facts about the census:
**All residents of Japan (as of October 1st, 2015, including non-Japanese residents) are required by law to fill out and submit a census form.**
This year is the first time the population census can (and is in fact recommended to) be submitted online.
- September 10th-12th: Census takers provide households with "A Guide to the Online Census" document and online user ID and password
- September 10th-20th: Period to fill out the census online (using a PC, smartphone, or tablet) using the provided user ID and password
- September 26th-30th: Distribution of paper census documents to households that did not complete the census online
- October 1st-7th: Deadline to submit census forms (either to census takers or by mail, depending on the municipality)
- February 2016: Preliminary census results scheduled to be released
- October 2016: Detailed census results scheduled to be released
Beware of Fraudulent Census Takers!
- Census takers never ask you for money. They also never ask you for information such as your bank account or credit card numbers.
- Watch out for suspicious persons visiting your home and claiming to be census takers. Also beware of suspicious phone calls, e-mails or other communications. If you encounter this sort of suspicious person or communication, do not provide any information and promptly contact your municipal government to report the incident.
- Census takers wear official "Population Census Taker identification card" with them.
*In some areas, census taking duties is assigned to building managers, and they carry "Census Taking Authorization Certification" with them.
And again, the 2015 Population Census official website address: http://kokusei2015.stat.go.jp